Around the globe, numerous countries claim their health care system to be the best among the developed nations of the world. These claims are usually supported by facts and figures but on the odd occasion, one cannot settle to such claims unless a neutral body like some global health organization for instance WHO (World Health Organization) probes the reality behind such claims and issues a report based on neutral observation and valid criterions of judgment.

The last such attempt was made in 2000 when WHO issued a ranking of the health care systems around the globe. Now more than one and half decade has passed and a lot of improvements have been made by many nations of the world in their health care systems. Health is one of the basic needs of the citizens of any country and hence it is one of the top most priorities of a government.

Keeping in mind the ranking published by WHO and another statistical analytical report issued by another organization namely OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and development) which is established by a coalition of developed states of the world we can fairly choose top three countries with regard to their efficient system of healthcare namely France, Italy, and Japan.

France Health Care System:

Health care system France
Health care system France

 

The French system of health care is unique as it is largely funded by government based health insurance companies. The French government spends around 11%+ GDP on health which is one of the highest percentages being spent on health around the globe. Can you imagine that the government pays for 77% of the expenditures in case of an ailment? If the patient belongs to a low-income group or has a long running ailment like cancer the government takes full responsibility for his treatment including hospital costs and medicine.

If you live in France then you must pay health insurance according to your income but in case you get sick the amount you paid would be nothing in comparison to the amount spent on your treatment by the government. There are three main funds for this purpose. One covers 85% of the population and the rest of two covers for 15% population. The population is being covered by three schemes namely Industry and Commerce workers along with their families, second are agricultural workers and third include non-agricultural workforce.

Italy Health Care System:

Health care system Italy
Health care system Italy

 

If you are in search of an ideal health system than the health care Italy has to offer is worth consideration. Italian government spends 9% of its GDP on health. Italy has world 14th highest life expectancy roughly being more than 80 years.

Healthcare is provided by a mixed system in which public and private organizations participate under the regulatory authority of Ministry of Health which works on a regional basis. You will be astonished to hear that the government pays for all your visits to a family doctor and gives you the freedom to go the doctor of your choice. Moreover, visits by specialist doctors and lab tests are provided free of cost by all public hospitals and some private hospitals. Similarly, these selected private hospitals and all public hospitals provide totally free surgeries and hospitalization.

Japan Health Care System:

Health care system Japan
Health care system Japan

 

Another health system worth notice is the system of Japan. The system in Japan works with mutual co-operation of the patient and the government. The patient takes responsibility for 30% cost of his treatment and the rest is paid by the government. The system offers in addition to this free lab tests, pre-natal care, and disease control is also their responsibility.

All residents of Japan are bound to have a health insurance and in return, they can avail health facilities to the hospitals and physicians of their choice and cannot be denied of this right. All Hospitals are non-profit and run by doctors. Clinics are run by doctors and profit hospitals are not allowed to operate in the country. A committee of the government decides whether the patient can pay 10% or 20% or 30% of his expenses and if the patient is homeless or belongs to a low-income group he is offered completely free health care by the government.

Facebook Comments